Well I broke my foot. The tip of the fifth metatarsal and the displaced fractured piece is attached to a tendon. My doctor told me that it’s a “troublesome” fracture in that with any strain, if my heel-foot has any weight bearing, it is very likely that the tendon will pull the fragment loose and then I’ll need surgery. He told me that I can either stay off my foot completely – aaarghh – for a month, or if I take chances with it, it’s very likely that I’ll require surgery to place a pin and then I’ll be off my foot for 2+ months. Since they’d have to catch me first – for surgery – there’s not a lot to consider here…
This happened two days before we were leaving for a couple of months to escape the Pacific Northwest winter.
Ok. I’m very active, walk 10,000 steps – minimum – every day. Walking controls my blood sugar and blood pressure. It takes care of my excess energy and helps me sleep. It’s my time with my dog, Chloe. She sniffs. I think, listen and contemplate….
Now then…if everything happens for a reason – well, I’m waiting to find the reason for this one. I do get that there is a lesson in everything that we experience and I’m thinking I’m supposed to be learning…
- Postponing our trip….To make a decision from logic? What a concept! I had an impulsive, strong urge to take my chances and travel on crutches and deal with anything that might happen – wherever it might happen. ( A Whisper in my ear – Oprah’s Lifeclass Lesson 11) The whisper is saying – “any fool can see that you’re a klutz with the crutches and can see that there’s probably huge potential for another fall – at least at this point. And the whisper is loud. Mature decision? Me – who has almost always thought that maturity is usually overrated! But then I thought of food. I have to be able to move my bod if I want to eat what I want. Or take a pill. And I’ll do just about anything rather than take a blood sugar med! At least as long as I can manage another way. So I made up my mind… I’m trying this “mature” thing (as defined by my daughter and also my best friend…and the whisper). But I’m not totally convinced that maturity works for me – chuckle… Since when would that be?
- To change plans that involved disappointment and inconveniences for several others? Uhh….For a compliant (probably not my husband’s first thought when describing me:) – translated struggling to get thru this without my not-too-far-behind-me- people-pleasing-nature taking over; it took great fortitude to utter “I think I want to postpone our trip until I can enjoy myself too”.
- I’m very independent. It’s very difficult to ask someone else to do something for me. Those around me are not used to my being very needy. Talk about ripple effect…. Lessons for all?
- Over the months, I’ve learned to enjoy walking – out of necessity. But now it’s a habit that I truly enjoy. Then…I’ve detested weights, exercise classes, going to the gym. Now…The new no-weight-bearing me has discovered that I can use tubes (available and unused for years) while I’m sitting. I was shocked at my weak upper body muscles and how quickly they “burn”. Jane Fonda is whooting in my ears! I can see the sugar burning, courtesy of my glucometer. I can lie on my back and ride an imaginary bike. I am also amazed at these weakling thighs. I’m obviously using different muscles than walking requires! My blood sugar is under control – without a pill! My heart rate soars – quickly. And, I’m exercising my mind trying to think of new and effective ways to move so that my body feels exercised. Ahhhh…
- I can’t change or fix this one. I just have to wait for it to heal.
- A very big challenge. A definite work in progress! I repeat my prayer that I read somewhere years ago..”Please Lord! Give me Patience! Right now!”
One thing I know for sure…There’s no place like home. When I’m in pain or ill. Even if my bedroom, art studio and office are upstairs. Climbing stairs on hands and knees works for babies. It works for me too. And it makes me laugh.
I’m so thankful that it wasn’t worse – an ankle, knee, hip. Yikes – or neck!
I’m very grateful!